- How to Root Android Phone and Tablet?
- What is Android Phone Rooting?
- Preparing the Device for Rooting
- Steps to Prepare the Android Phone for Rooting
- How to Install Android SDK Platform Tools?
- Install Device Drivers
- Unlock the Bootloader
- How to Root Android Phone with the Rooting Programs?
- Rooting Android Phone with Firmware.mobi
- How to Root Android Phone with BaiduRoot
When we buy a digital gadget we assumed that we own it now. But the reality is, not all parts of the gadget we own and tinker with the aspects at our will. So if you know what I mean, today we will talk about how to root Android phone. A path to more freedom and options.
This is a method that gives you more control over your device and opens up the heavens for you in terms of possibilities and opportunities. The only downside, speaking superficially, is that you will have to wash your hands of the device warranty.
Rooting the device is not easy sailing. Remember that if anything goes awry or not according to the plan, you must make the mind up that it is your last day with the device.
Now proceed if you are okay with the inherent risks associated with the task. Moreover, you must know your way around when it comes to handling digital gadgets.
How to Root Android Phone and Tablet?
The makers of the phone will never want you to go for the rooting of your smartphone. But as it gives more freedom to the user such as the ability to remove bloatware, personalize and customize any aspect of the phone including its software, speed up the processor performance, and more.
Here we have prepared the step by step guide for you to root your Android phones. Unleash the true potential of your device and get the best out of it by performing these steps.
The time required to perform the process may vary according to the type and brand of smartphone. Some may be ready in a few minutes while with others the user will have to be patients.
What is Android Phone Rooting?
Rooting is a process for Android run mobile phones and tablets. This enables the user to access and modify the smartphone’s sub-systems which are otherwise not accessible. On a rooted device, the entire operating system can be customized in any aspect the users want.
The restriction placed on the nonrooted or normal device by the maker or the carrier no more stand valid and you get the unrestricted entrance to any part. However, if you are doing it for the first time.
The best way is to tread with caution. Don’t forget to backup your gadget software before you ‘flash’ or install the custom ROM (modified software version).
Though rooting brings multiple benefits yet, there are some disadvantages as well. For instance, the security-conscious apps like Google Pay, your primary bank application, and other payment gateways might not work anymore. Moreover, the process makes the device vulnerable to data theft and hacking.
As mentioned earlier, this will definitely void the warranty but at the same time if the guide is not followed properly may corrupt the device for good. Thus it is imperative to follow the guide clearly and take steps according to the sequence mentioned.
Preparing the Device for Rooting
The best way if you are a non-techie is to take help from an app built specifically for the purpose. There is a wide range of such applications that perform the task without any hiccups and are trusted by the users.
These include Kingo Root, Framaroot, BaiduRoot, One Click Root, and Firmware.mobi, and many more. So these apps will perform the task in five to ten minutes at maximum.
The problem with such applications is that not all of them can root the latest smartphone. Most of them work fine with the older version of the Android but with the latest ones you will have to check it first.
Especially with the operating system 7.0 Nougat and above have the special arrangement to protect cryptographic integrity that inhibits the above mentioned and other similar apps. But there are apps that carry out the task with just one tap.
If you get unlucky and the applications do not work. Then the alternate way is to go to a relevant forum and ask help from the community. Surely you will get working recommendations.
Steps to Prepare the Android Phone for Rooting
Before you start the process. First, make sure the device is fully charged. Then back up all the essential files and apps present on your gadget. This list must also include the current ROM before you install the new one.
- Turn on the USB debugging and OEM unlocking. Wonder how to do this? Just go to the settings and look for the ‘Developer Options’. If you cannot find it, mostly towards the lower end of the lists, go for the following steps.
- Tap on ‘About Phone’ and find ‘Builder Number’. This must be somewhere with other software information.
- Tap the ‘Builder Number’ a couple of times and the ‘Developer Option’ will pop up on the screen. Confirm the security code to enable it.
- Tap the back key to explore the new developer options. And tap on ‘Developer Option’ now.
- Check/tick the ‘USB Debugging’
- Check/tick to enable OEM Unlocking
How to Install Android SDK Platform Tools?
Here you need to download and install the Android SDK Platform Tools from the Google developer’s website. You can pick from the options for Windows, Linux, and Mac. If you are using a Windows computer follow the given instructions.
- Extract the zipped files.
- Install the software in C: android-sdk or select the location you want.
Install Device Drivers
Now computer-device communication is very important and you will have to install the USB driver. Most of the devices have built-in USB drivers, but not all have.
To check out whether your android has them just connect using the USB cable. If they get connect skip this step and if it does not show the connection install the drivers.
Unlock the Bootloader
The next step in the process of rooting an android phone is to unlock the device’s bootloader. This is the program that loads the operating system on the device. This actually determines which applications to run when the smartphone or tablet is starting up.
Some brands require the user to obtain a key to unlock the bootloader and some even ask you to register for a developer account. While others like Huawei and Honor deny the request to unlock codes. For such gadgets, you need to use a third-party service such as DC-Unlocker.
Now put the device in fastboot mode. This varies for every smartphone, but for most of them do the following. Reboot the device and hold the power and volume down buttons simultaneously for at least 10 seconds.
After the fastboot status is achieved go to the folder where the Android SDK files were unzipped. Open the command prompt on the computer and click ‘Open a Command Prompt Here’.
If your mobile phone requires a code, a long string of characters will be displayed for you. Past it in the box on your device manufacturers’ website. Submit the form and wait for the email with a list of instructions, a key, and a file.
Now, to unlock the device’s bootloader connect it to the computer and place it again in fastboot mode again. Get the command prompt by entering ‘cmd’ in the search or start menu.
- Pixel: type ‘fastboot flashing unlock’ and hit enter.
- Nexus: type ‘fastboot oem unlock’ and press enter.
- Motorola: Put ‘oem unlock UNIQUE KEY’, here “UNIQUE KEY” is the code you received.
- HTC: Put ‘unloktoken Unlock_code.bin’, here ‘Unlock_code.bin’ is the file you received.
Some smartphone brands and carriers don’t allow bootloader unlocking. For such cases, the alternative is to search ‘XDA Developers forum’ for the solutions and alternate ways.
How to Root Android Phone with the Rooting Programs?
The list of such software is long as we stated earlier. Here we will explain the process for the most famous types.
Rooting Android Phone with Firmware.mobi
It is developed by Chainfire. This is one of the most stable mobile rooting utilities but not the easiest. It provides step-by-step instructions to perform the task on more than 300+ smartphones. If you use it the process will be easy to follow.
- First, you will have to find out whether your device falls in the list of this utility. If it does, then download the appropriate zip file. Then:
- Extract the folder
- Navigate to the folder and find the root-windows.bat file. Double click the file.
- Wait for the script execution and press any key.
When the process is complete, your phone will automatically reboot and it will be in the rooted form.
This is a one-click rooting utility. Using the Framaroot anyone can perform the process and this is what this software aims for. Here is the complete process.
- Download the software.
- Install it.
- Open the application and tap the root.
- If the device is compatible, it will be rooted.
- Then download the Magisk to manage the root access.
Then you are ready to do whatever you want.
How to Root Android Phone with BaiduRoot
This is a chines software from Baidu Inc. This comprehensive tool supports more than six thousand android devises. But the range is between the devices running Android 2.2 and 4.4. So if you have an old phone around this is the software you must pick.
Once you have downloaded the utility follow these steps.
- Find and unzip the Baidu_Root.RAR and extract it.
- Connect the smartphone to the computer and transfer the files.
- Then install the application as you would do with any APK file and switch to Baidu Root.
- Open BaiduRoot and accept the license agreement.
- Tap the Root Button displayed on the screen.
- Then, after a pause, you will get the notification that the device has been rooted successfully.
This is the complete guide on how to root Android phone. We have mentioned all the popular and common methods but some devices may still be outliers and the above tricks may not work. For such cases, there are multiple forums that deal with the issues for specific devices.